Under Georgia law, those who suffer from slip and fall accidents due to negligence or unsafe conditions are entitled to seek compensation. At Deming Parker, our extensive experience in personal injury law -spanning over five decades in Georgia- will undoubtedly help you to confidently take legal action and fight for your right to compensation.
How an Atlanta Slip and Fall Accident Attorney Can Help You
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, falls, slips, and trips account for 27% of all occupational injuries. And when such accidents occur due to negligence, victims have the right to seek legal recourse. We know that a slip-and-fall accident can cause serious injuries, and it can be difficult to know what to do next. However, in this scenario, our team of personal injury attorneys in Atlanta can advocate for you in the following ways:
- Detailed case analysis: First, we conduct a thorough review of your case, considering all aspects of the incident to assess the strength of your claim and the potential compensation amount we can get.
- Legal guidance: We also offer advice on your legal rights and Georgia’s personal injury laws to help you make informed decisions in your case moving forward.
- Evidence collection and case building: Our lawyers gather essential evidence and establish liability to build a compelling case that allows you to secure compensation.
- Negotiations with insurance companies: Experienced in dealing with insurers, our attorneys negotiate to ensure you receive a settlement.
- Court representation: If negotiations fail, we’ll represent you in court and advocate vigorously for your interests in front of a judge and jury.
After a slip-and-fall accident that caused injuries or other damages, our team of lawyers is equipped to guide and support you through this whole process.
Negligence Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents in Atlanta
Georgia Code 51-3-1 clearly states the responsibility of property owners or occupiers to ensure the safety of their premises, mandating they exercise ordinary care in keeping their premises safe. At the same time, failure to comply results in negligence and legal liability for any injuries they cause. Here are some potential negligent parties in slip and fall accidents we commonly hear at our law firm:
Property owners are primarily responsible for maintaining safe conditions on their premises. This includes regular inspections, timely repairs, and adequate warnings about potential hazards.
In commercial settings, business operators must ensure their establishments are safe for customers and employees. This responsibility extends to addressing spillages, ensuring adequate lighting, and maintaining safe walkways.
Public spaces like sidewalks, parks, and government buildings must be maintained by the respective government entities. Neglect in upkeep leads to hazardous conditions which increases the possibility of slip and fall accidents.
Companies contracted to maintain properties are responsible for ensuring their work doesn’t create unsafe conditions. This includes proper cleaning methods and notifying about potential hazards.
Lastly, landlords must ensure rental properties are safe for tenants and visitors. This includes addressing structural issues and ensuring common areas are free of hazards.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Injuries
Commonly, slip and fall injuries fall under the category of premises liability and are caused by:
- Wet or uneven surfaces: Commonly due to spills, waxed floors, and loose floorboards.
- Weather conditions: Ice, snow, and rain can make outdoor areas particularly hazardous.
- Poor lighting: Insufficient lighting can prevent the identification of potential dangers.
- Cluttered floors: Obstacles and debris increase the chance of tripping.
If this is unfortunately your case, we can help you determine the reasons behind your slip and fall accident in order to claim a fair amount of compensation to cover your losses.
Damages You Can Recover After a Slip and Fall Accident in Atlanta
The amount of compensation you may receive often correlates with the severity and impact of the injuries sustained, and includes:
Claiming compensation for all medical-related costs stemming from the accident encompasses a wide range of expenses, including but not limited to:
- Immediate medical care and emergency room visits.
- Ongoing medical treatments.
- Costs of surgeries or medical procedures directly related to the injuries.
- Future medical needs, including long-term care or rehabilitation.
- Prescription medications and any necessary medical equipment.
Pain and Suffering
Compensation for pain and suffering addresses the non-economic impact of the accident, such as:
- Physical pain and discomfort endured during and after the incident.
- Emotional and psychological distress (including anxiety, depression, and trauma).
- Decreased quality of life or disruption of daily activities.
- Long-term suffering due to permanent injuries or chronic pain.
Lastly, you can also seek compensation for financial losses if the injury caused inability to work, which includes:
- Lost income from missed work days following the accident.
- Loss of earning capacity if the injury leads to long-term or permanent inability to work.
- Potential future earnings lost due to the injury’s impact on the victim’s career.
At Deming Parker, our lawyers work to maximize your damages and ensure you receive the highest compensation amount available for your case. You can schedule an initial consultation with a personal injury lawyer to discuss case result amounts and evaluate your legal options.
What Are Your Legal Options After a Slip and Fall Accident?
After a slip-and-fall accident, you have several avenues to pursue legal action in Atlanta. Here are the most common ones, which are often the ones chosen by our clients:
Filing a Premises Liability Claim
Premises liability claims arise when property owners fail to maintain safe conditions, leading to injuries. If you’re injured due to such negligence, this claim seeks to hold the property owner legally accountable.
However, it’s essential to act promptly when building your case, since Georgia has a strict statute of limitations for personal injury cases. According to Georgia Code 9-3-33, you have a two-year window to file a premises liability claim, after which you’ll lose your right to compensation.
Negotiating with Property Owners or Insurers
Often, we can negotiate a fair settlement without resorting to court proceedings. Our attorneys are skilled in negotiating with property owners and their insurance companies, which involves presenting a strong case backed by evidence to ensure you receive a settlement that adequately covers your damages.
In situations where negotiations don’t yield a satisfactory outcome, litigation becomes a necessary step. We are prepared to represent you in court, which involves presenting your case before a judge or jury. We’ll argue on your behalf, demonstrating how the negligence of the property owner led to your injuries and the resulting damages, to advocate for your right to compensation.
Seeking Legal Help for Your Atlanta Slip and Fall Accident
At Deming Parker, we’re committed to guiding you through the legal process after being injured in a slip-and-fall accident. We can ensure your rights are upheld and you receive the compensation you need for recovery. Our attorneys have over 50 years of experience in Georgia and can be your attorneys for life: no matter what issue you’re having, we can help. Please don’t hesitate to contact us today for a comprehensive evaluation of your case and expert legal guidance!